Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Limited Run & Special Events
- ONE NITE ONLY
- NITEHAWK MIDNITE SCREENINGS
- NITEHAWK BRUNCH SCREENINGS
- HAWKS WITH BABIES
- INDEPENDENCE DAY WEEKEND AT NITEHAWK
- SPOONS, TOONS & BOOZE
- KEVIN GEEKS OUT
- IT'S A CONSPIRACY
- JULY MIDNITE & BRUNCH: ANIMAL ATTACKS!
- AUGUST BRUNCH: ACTION! BRUNCH
- AUGUST MIDNITE: KUNG-FU THEATER
- AUGUST BRUNCH: WAKE AND BAKE
- Nitehawk Cinema & Tribeca Film Institute® Summer Documentary Series 2015
- Rating: PG13
- Run Time: 97 minutes
- Director: Jamie Shovlin
- Starring: Agnes Aspen, Ashley Houston, Bob Young, Jack Dearsley
- Format: Digital
- Year: 2013
- Language: English
- Age Policy: 18 and Up
- Note: Skype Introduction by Director Jamie Shovlin
How do you remake a film that never existed? Our June ART SEEN screening is Jamie Shovlin’s ROUGH CUT. Includes an introduction by the director in London via Skype. Also screening is a new version of Darren Banks’ short film, INTERIORS.
Rough Cut, the debut feature from artist Jamie Shovlin, explores the re-making of an exploitation film that never was. At its dark heart is Hiker Meat, an archetypal 1970s slasher movie imagined by Shovlin, complete with hitchhiking heroine, charismatic commune leader and a group of teens who disappear one by one. This tantalising film-within-a-film serves to both deconstruct and pay affectionate homage to the often-maligned exploitation style.
Having created a full screenplay, score and cut-and-paste prototype for Hiker Meat, Shovlin filmed key sections and a full trailer in an intense shoot in the Lake District in summer 2013. Rough Cut contrasts these re-made sequences with on-set footage and insights into the development of Hiker Meat’s script, soundtrack and design, to create a compelling mash-up of self-referencing processes, behind-the-scenes viewpoints and time-honoured slasher tropes.
Rough Cut is a co-commission between Cornerhouse Artist Film and TIFF: Toronto International Film Festival.