Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Limited Run & Special Events
- ONE NITE ONLY
- NITEHAWK MIDNITE SCREENINGS
- NITEHAWK BRUNCH SCREENINGS
- HAWKS WITH BABIES
- SPOONS, TOONS & BOOZE
- NOVEMBER MIDNITE: UK MODERN HORROR
- NOVEMBER BRUNCH: OH, THE DRAMA
- DECEMBER MIDNITE: XMAS CHOPPING
- DECEMBER BRUNCH: ALL YOU WANT FOR XMAS
- NEW YEAR’S WEEKEND AT NITEHAWK
- JANUARY BRUNCH: THE PERFECT CRIME
- JANUARY MIDNITE: I'LL KICK YOUR ASS!
- Rating: R
- Run Time: 124 minutes
- Director: Todd Haynes
- Starring: Ewan McGregor, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Christian Bale
- Format: 35mm
- Year: 1998
- Language: English
- Age Policy: 18 and Up
Saturday introduction by musician Nathan Larson (from the bands Shudder to Think and Swiz) who contributed to the “Velvet Goldmine” sound-track.
Nitehawk and Noisey present June’s MUSIC DRIVEN FILM “Velvet Goldmine” where the wild and glittery 1970s glam rock scene in London gets retold as a journalist writes a “what ever happen to” story.
Todd Hayne’s Velvet Goldmine centers around the over-the-top career and faux-murder-fall of 1970s glam rock star Brian Slade (Jonathan Rhys Myers) as told through the 1984 journalist investigation by Arthur (Christian Bale). Post-Beatles, pre-punk, and loosely based on Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust, Slade is the bisexual icon of London glam rock responsible for the shocking behavior and style of glam masses…and he’s had enough of himself. After faking his own death on stage, Slade slides into obscurity only to be rediscovered when Arthur revisits his influence. The film interweaves the characters past-and-present in a non-linear style, reflecting various aspects of Slade’s career and personal life. It goes without saying that Velvet Goldmine is highly stylised with a killer soundtrack.